Session 28 Recap

Moderator: Fatespinner

Session 28 Recap

Postby Fatespinner » Mar 3rd, '11, 15:02

After the battle ends: Akeni Orm has escaped invisibly, as to conceal her escape and her cult here near Loona has been destroyed. Mardak lies dead upon the floor of the place, subject to a single but powerful spell. You now have time in which to search the place. Assuming you take this route, you encounter no problems whatsoever and find the following:

From the cultists and Glaken (the troll): 12 +1 lt. crossbows, 120 mwk bolts, 12 mwk rapiers, 12 mwk daggers, 10 vials of Oil of Taggit, 10 vials of Insanity Mist and 20 vials of the mind control substance.
From Akeni’s chamber upstairs: 2 Silver Combs w/moonstones, a flask (empty), a brass mug w/jade inlays, 3 perfume bottles, 3 silk night gowns, 4,000 gp, an Amulet of Tears, Counterstrike Bracers, Crystal of Life Drinking, Akeni’s diary.

Contents of Akeni’s diary:
1. The story of her life as a servant to a noble drow family, including her affair with her the house matrons husband, Akeni’s subsequent murder of both her matron and lover, her accidental stumbling into the lair of Ormathulak and surviving the Test of the Hungry Eye.
2. The location, leaders and approximate numbers of all of the cults that she’s personally started.
Lagasa – Vren (250), Ospolen – Centen (160), Dayolen – Garibaldi (70)
Aroroleta – Macon (125), Cosolen – Blentir (160),
Shyta-na-Dobyol – Francis (90), Kako-Gyr – Escobar (100)
Zoa – Dvorn (130), Ashakulagh – Vitisar (160)
3. Stories of various romps with cult members.
4. Details of Ranlem (who you know to have been Melnar) and someone referred to as the High Master joining the cult.
5. Information she’s gathered about the High Master’s quest for an artifact known as the Venomous Blade of Kazma.
6. The location of Ormathulak’s lair; a cave located in the Kakidela Mts. between Shaggar and Eb Sarido.

Akeni’s Diary:
Dated about 14 months ago – Quite a long way I’ve come since fleeing my master’s home. Shame really, to kill him I mean. His wife on the other hand was a pleasure. A good lover he was, but I was not meant to be subservient. Fortunate for me I stumbled into Ormathulak’s lair. The test of the Hungry Eye nearly killed me, but the added power of the graft is well worth it. I will honor my new master by serving his needs, knowing that once completed he will destroy those that enslaved me.

1 Month later – I feel a great sense of accomplishment with my first cult established here in Ashakulash. Vitisar will serve as a fine proxy while I continue my work. Fine indeed. I must admit I myself find his charm a little difficult to resist; that and his most impressive physique. Oh, that must be him coming to call now.

4 Months later – Things are moving more quickly than expected. With the addition of cults in Zoa, Kako-Gyr and Shyta-na-Dobyol, I will soon have fulfilled my masters wishes. This Ranlem though intrigues me. So large and strong, he comes to my master with gifts and strange promises. I will have to invite him to dinner and get to know more about him.

6 Months later – Cosolen, Aroroleta, Dayolen and Ospolen are the latest. I could not be more pleased. All of the cults I’ve established are growing and my proxies doing well. I like Ranlem, but this new friend of his troubles me; so unlike Ranlem both physically and intellectually. He’s small and frail, but his mind is formidable and he seems to be able to resist my charms, quite easily. He even seems to be capable of imposing his will upon Ormathulak. I like neither ability. What is it about this man that my master trusts. I will dispatch my spies to gather information about him. Though the road north is dangerous this time of year, I feel the gain far out ways the risk.

3 Months later – Lagasa is now secure with Vren at its reigns. Soon the whole town will be mine. I have had my fill of this northerner. Starting his own cults in honor of my master and having the nerve to title himself the High Master. Hah!

1 Month later – This High Master confounds me. My spies have returned with strange if not disturbing news. He quests for the fabled Venomous Blade of Kazma. Does he really believe it exists? He’s either a fool or dastardly clever; I fear it may be the later. Employing the Pale Grin in hopes of procuring it is a risky and aggressive move. They are very dangerous. Hiring mercenaries also. He calls them his personal guard, but they all wear the old symbol of Artemis Kazma. I swear he’s building an army, but to what ends? I must send my spies back out. I must know what he’s up to.
Fatespinner

Re: Session 28 Recap

Postby Nightstalker » Mar 3rd, '11, 17:39

Alright you've done it! Got me wanting someone to bring Mardak back to life. Dam bitch and her spells!
Nightstalker

Postby shortyhellseeker » Mar 3rd, '11, 18:04

Guess I'm going to have to pull my notes out as soon as I finish prep for the 18th.
Could we just hire Niam to join us since Mardak is dead? :D
But seriously,did we use that Staff of Life we had yet?

We should get Second Darkness to a point where we could take a month off and step back into Hand of Righteous but I do want to power through to the Final Conclusion, answer the questions, decide the fates, etc. before the end of this year.
Brian, you mentioned another new campaign you wanted to start sometime. How much life does the Hand of Righteous campaign have left? Do you see a final chapter sort of thing where we retire our characters (after we defeat the Bad Guys, of course)?
I know with Second Darkness, it will have a Campaign conclusion at some point. You are all around 8th level now and I forsee maybe hitting 12th-14th at most. Still about 6 more sessions at least but I don't plan on continuing the campaign indefinetly.

Preparing Baronzimo might take as much time for me as actually planning out a whole session as DM. I better get to work on that :)
The DM giveth and the DM taketh away!
shortyhellseeker

Postby Fatespinner » Mar 4th, '11, 09:46

I'm not sure how many charges remain on the staff, but I know that you can cast a raise dead 1 time. Jim's character could probably use it or maybe even Royal if he has any rank in use magic item. I've been thinking about getting this stuff together for a while, but I have no problem continuing with Second Darkness until you're prepared to take a break. I never had this much fun with a character; I usually get bored after the first few levels. For some reason, I think they are the most fun. I definitely have an idea for a climactic conflict with the mastermind behind the entire mess. An estimate would be about 4 more levels of experience maybe; not sure how many sessions that would translate into though. Truthfully, I've ran this campaign a little loosy goosy, making moderate if not major decisions at the table and then having to run with them in future sessions. I just hope that we can all look back at the story as a whole and see a reasonable amount of continuity. Cross your fingers.
Fatespinner

Postby Fatespinner » Mar 4th, '11, 10:05

It should be noted, the oddities of Illyria. Since traveling with her one would have noticed a few peculiar quirks. Certainly the bluish tinge to her hair and skin is most notable, but people that spend any considerable amount of time around her would notice more strangeness. Her volitile temper has been witnessed on several occasions, though she's more recently has seemed to have succeeded in mastering herself, but over the past couple of weeks you all would have noticed her almost nightly outbursts during the sleeping hours. With regularity she can be heard from neighboring quarters calling out in her sleep. Maniacle giggling, panicked phrases such as, Mommy, daddy no!"; "I was just a pawn in all of this"; "I hate goats, get em' away!" and "Don't kill me Kazma!"
Fatespinner

Postby Nightstalker » Mar 4th, '11, 10:29

If I'm not mistaken I think she has been called out a couple of times and gave a crappy answer, but no else wanted to continue with the questioning.

Yes Mardak does still have the staff of life and it has 7 charges still on it. He has been doing his job well by keeping everyone standing and not letting them die than he didn't need to use it. At leasr thats my opinion.
Nightstalker

Postby shortyhellseeker » Mar 7th, '11, 05:13

I thought the only time you heard Illyria cry Daddy from her bed was when she and Baronzimo shared a room.
I have and have had thoughts on her for some time now but will get into that later.

Brian- if there is no hurry to get out of Second Darkness right now then I say we stay with it. I am gung-ho on getting the story completed and with all the timetravel details and confusion, it might be best to not get away from it right now.
shortyhellseeker

Postby Fatespinner » Mar 8th, '11, 15:01

[quote="shortyhellseeker"]I thought the only time you heard Illyria cry Daddy from her bed was when she and Baronzimo shared a room.

Well, this crying out is more like in fear of something. I agree with staying with Second Darkness. We need to sort things out and I am enjoying playing my PC, just wanted to put that last session stuff out there.
Fatespinner

Postby shortyhellseeker » Apr 19th, '11, 17:19

I was looking through some older posts and came across this-

Re: Dec. Session
by Nightstalker » Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:57 pm

Illyria what involvement do you have with Melnar? It is about time you tell us all of your secrets!

She never really answered. Might help in the upcoming adventure?
shortyhellseeker

Postby Nightstalker » Apr 19th, '11, 19:40

Good luck! She has been asked twice about her secrets and she never answered!
Nightstalker

Postby Fatespinner » Jun 29th, '11, 08:23

After the battle, you stand in the common room of the Lost Gull licking your wounds and preparing your next move. A feather drifts gracefully into the room and is carefully snatched out of the air by Baronzimo. At his touch, the feather magically transforms into a piece of parchment. He intently reads the message with a satisfied look on his face. He folds the parchment; places it carefully in the lapel of his coat and pats it gently. At once he pulls out some magical paraphernalia from his belongings and begins to compose a message of his own. Once complete, he releases the feather and it glides off in search of its recipient. Baronzimo then turns and says, “
Fatespinner

Postby shortyhellseeker » Jun 30th, '11, 17:10

Fatespinner wrote:After the battle, you stand in the common room of the Lost Gull licking your wounds and preparing your next move. A feather drifts gracefully into the room and is carefully snatched out of the air by Baronzimo. At his touch, the feather magically transforms into a piece of parchment. He intently reads the message with a satisfied look on his face. He folds the parchment; places it carefully in the lapel of his coat and pats it gently. At once he pulls out some magical paraphernalia from his belongings and begins to compose a message of his own. Once complete, he releases the feather and it glides off in search of its recipient. Baronzimo then turns and says, “

"We must leave for Loona at once! Not only may we find aid for Mardak there but I have been called to audience with the fair Loizaga as well. That feather was a simple message from her. What say everyone? "
shortyhellseeker

Postby Nightstalker » Jun 30th, '11, 17:49

I'm dead!

But yes let's go!!
Nightstalker

Postby shortyhellseeker » Jul 4th, '11, 09:56

Mardak has a Staff of Life with 7 charges from what he says. Might Baronzimo be able to use it to bring Mardak back to life?
Baronzimo would feel that Mardak is his closest ally. The Dwarves are just muscle and not too deep into the entire story. Royale is not exactly a team player and Illyria? I think we know she is a bit ?????
Baronzimo needs Mardak and will take the Staff and revive him if it is something he is capable of whether the rest of the group agree or not.
shortyhellseeker

Postby Fatespinner » Jul 25th, '11, 13:02

Once you arrive in Loona, you quickly find the House of Heironeous. Inside you meet the head cleric there; Brennan. Brennan is about 45 or so, with longish graying hair and a clean shaven face. His eyes are kind as is his demeanor. He examines Mardak and addresses you with regret in his voice, “I afraid I cannot raise your friend, but I know one who can. My cousin, Estmandel, is a cleric in Giila, about 60 miles northeast from here. He can raise your friend. I can cast gentle repose on him if you’d like. Estmandel would be able to bring him back even if I didn’t, but it will take you a few days at least and gentle repose will make traveling with him more pleasant if you know what I mean. I could also offer you provisions for your journey if you need them. Good people are hard to find these days. Let me know if I can help you in any way. Again, I am sorry.”
Fatespinner

Postby shortyhellseeker » Jul 27th, '11, 04:05

If that is how it must be then cast the Gentle Repose and we will be on our way. The Staff of Life we carry is no help to the cleric?
There is still a matter of meeting Loizaga. We shouldn't leave town before that happens. Could Mardak stay here at the church in repose until the meeting happens?
shortyhellseeker

Postby Fatespinner » Jul 27th, '11, 11:06

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I was going under the impression that the staff of life can cast the raise dead spell. If that's true, then that particular spell is ineffective in raising someone who was killed by a death effect. If I'm wrong, I'm not sure that this cleric could use an item powerful enough to help. he certainly couldn't cast a ressurection or true ressurection spell. I'll have to look into it further. As far as Mardak staying at the church, this will not be a problem.
Fatespinner

Postby Nightstalker » Jul 27th, '11, 15:31

I'm sure you are right because you said that I could use it so the spell couldn't be to powerful since I can only cast up to 6th level spells.
Nightstalker

Postby shortyhellseeker » Jul 28th, '11, 03:38

"Brennan, I am but a mere wizard whose powers pale to the work of the divine. If my friend can stay a the church for a time, it would be apreciated. I have a meeting to attend and then I shall return for him and we will visit your brother Estmandel in Giila. Does your church sponser any transport over sea to the city of Giila from Loona?"

Once arrangements are finalized I will walk the streets with Multiply Self cast upon myself to its maximum potential in a passive effort to attract the attention of Loizaga.
shortyhellseeker

Postby Fatespinner » Jul 28th, '11, 12:00

Brennan: Of course we’ll provide a suitable resting place for your friend until your return. Sea travel could be arranged. We don’t have any particular arrangements with any of the ship captains, but I’m sure a quick trip to the docks could remedy that. You see most of our trading with the Giila is done overland by caravan and travelling with a merchant could provide you with the added safety of numbers and maybe even a little extra gold if they hired you on as security. Let me know if I can assist you further.

A short stroll through town is all it takes for you to find Loizaga. The first thing you’ll notice is her smile beaming at you as she walks your way. She heads straight for Baronzimo, takes his hands and gives a short bow. “It’s wonderful to see you; all of you that is. I knew you’d come at once, but where’s Mardak? Surely he hasn’t left the group?
Fatespinner

Postby shortyhellseeker » Jul 29th, '11, 04:13

Baronzimo says, "Extra gold is always welcomed. I am guessing the sight of my Dwarf friends alone, not to mention MacCarthy's strong back, should get us hired as security for a caravan on the road to Giila."

To Loizaga as he eyes her up and down and up again," My dear, I am afraid Mardak isn't here right now. He has hardly left the group. (I will recount the events leading up to now). Why is it you have summoned me? "
shortyhellseeker

Postby Fatespinner » Jul 29th, '11, 14:03

Loizaga: (Lets out a gasp and covers her face with her hands) Oh my. Sartur will be so upset. I will notify him at once of course. Surely you plan to save him; he still has so much work to do. Sartur has sent me with a message. The Pale Grin has been seen traveling through this area. He believes that they are headed to Ardarr Norr. There is a legend there that hundreds of years ago a wizard of terrible power lost his mind and in a fierce battle despoiled a patch of ground there. It is known as the “Ground that does not grow”. Sartur believes that they may be in search of a piece of the Venomous Blade of Kazma and that it may lie in that spot; the rumor started to conceal its location. What are your plans? (Everyone present may roll a d20)
Fatespinner

Postby shortyhellseeker » Aug 2nd, '11, 09:23

I rolled an 18 (good job iPhone Diceroller app).

Baronzimo says, "The Pale Grin, we have heard that name before as well as the Blade of Kazma." (Time to dig through the notes again)
If Illyria is present, I would turn to her and say, "You are familiar with Kazma, aren't you my dear? Perhaps you might have some helpful information to contribute?"
I would think that Illyria and maybe Royale would be with me right now but only they (and the DM) would know for sure. If Illyria isn't here right now, I would at least imply to Loizaga that my companion has mentioned serving Kazma in the past. "Is Satur aware of that?"

"What are my plans you ask. They are this. I'll need your help (Loizaga) if you are willing. Before we leave for Ardarr Norr I require a few items of magical nature. You are my favorite assistant and quite capable of gathering what I need. MacCarthy will accompany you. (I'll compile my list for the DM, I need to calculate how much $$$ I have and need). We leave for The Ground That Does Not Grow as soon as possible. Fetch the Dwarves while you are out too. MacCarthy knows where they are."
shortyhellseeker

Postby Illyria » Aug 9th, '11, 12:41

Illyria is present and responds with "All I know of Kazma is what has been shown to me in my nightmares. Some nightmares have friendlier tones in them. The last nightmare has Kazma with 2 other demons standing over and attacking me with some energy based spell. He seems to be getting revenge for something, something has not been revealed to me yet."
Illyria

Postby shortyhellseeker » Aug 9th, '11, 17:43

After hearing Illyria's comments, Baronzimo says, "I suppose we should plan on battling Demons. I hope that Hound Acheron friend of ours is rested up."

Out of game: I assume we will start by raising Mardak right off the bat so Denny can get back in the action right away?
shortyhellseeker

Postby Fatespinner » Aug 11th, '11, 08:22

Mardak should be back in shortly. I asked for rolls, but the more I think of it we may have to play that out. It won't take long though. I'm assuming that it's Baronzimo, Illyria and Royal present. You will all make 2 checks during the meeting with Loizaga. You can keep your 18 though.
Fatespinner

Postby shortyhellseeker » Aug 15th, '11, 15:37

Well what can I say? I have a rough time once I switch back into the PC side of the game.
I am glad I didn't get Baronzimo killed (which is usually what happens when I overdo the drinking while I sit back and enjoy not DMing and focusing for the evening).

I will say this about the campaign. I feel like we are lead a little too much lately, and not toward the primary goal.
Illyria's "revelation" seems a bit too late in the game, especially since it has been a part of the story since the beginning, at least for the DM and Rob. It could have been more fun if we all knew we were looking for Illyria's Master all along (or at least for a while now).

I know running such a long campaign isn't easy, especially when the group gets into higher levels.
Knowing when to call it good is important for everyone.
shortyhellseeker

Postby Nightstalker » Aug 16th, '11, 14:09

I don't think we are looking for Illyria's master. I thought we were to be looking for the pale grinn? At least that is what Sartur had us doing before we heard Illyria's story. Going after Illyria's master is her personal goal and she said that anyone who gets in her way will be killed, but no one is stopping her she is choosing to follow us. We should be focusing on this Blade of Kazma becuse Baronzimo's special friend said the pale grinn is going after it or a piece of it in the dead lands or something. I think that is where we go and focus on this blade not Illyria's story.

We were not ready last session for the battle. We should go after that vamp and get her question her more about the history of this blade then kill her. After all we did promise the cleric we would since he raise me from the dead.

We need to prepare a little better next time. I had some buffing spelling I could have used which is my fault in not demanding to use them, but we need to plan first before charging right in. After all we are not dwarves, well some of us aren't.

George since none of the other PC's will check what do you think? If anyone else does check please post your thoughts.
Nightstalker

Postby gbieber » Aug 17th, '11, 08:08

I guess I am thinking that Illyria and Kazma and the blade are all related. After expecting a beholder session, then thinking demons due to the Kazma thing and then being forced into fighting a vampire got me frustrated. I really don't think we would have done an assassination like that without being railroaded into it. Refusing the deal to bring Mardak back wouldn't have made for a good night for Denny.
I don't like that we still need to face the vampire and continue to be at least two steps away from our goals, whatever they might be now.
gbieber

Return to The Hand of the Righteous (Kalamar)